Welcome to Adventures with Phil v2.0

So what is/was Adventures with Phil and where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Well, I used to do Adventures with Phil e-mail updates to let everyone know about the happenings in my life. If you're wondering, I originally got the name idea from the Red Green show, where there's a segment called Adventures with Bill.
Now, where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Before I go into that, there's something else I want to say. Even though "Step it up a notch" was hilariously funny in its original context, and the 20 or so of us who were there will definitely remember it as such, I am finding it is becoming more than just something I say; it's like a life motto, like the one the Three Musketeers had.
As I think about the words "step it up a notch", what comes to mind is the idea of doing more/going the extra mile, which also brings to mind Jesus' teaching in Matt 5:38-42. For me, applying step it up a notch means going deeper with God, building stronger family relationships and recognizing that I have the ability to reach out to help someone in need, no matter what the need is.

This section is getting too long so please make your way to the sidebar to find the origin of the phrase "step it up a notch".

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Who's the man?

Jesus is the man!! One week ago, I experienced my 3rd hard drive failure in 4 years. I am thankful to Jesus for keeping the hard drive going for the last week; I've been able to recover about 80% of my stuff. The first time I had a hard drive failure, it was so bad that the computer would constantly lose contact with the hard drive. I think this failure I just experienced was worse but it has miraculously been going for an entire week and only disappeared off the grid twice. You know it's bad when the drive makes clicking noises and beeps when you're trying to access the files. I had issues with ownership of the files: Windows wouldn't let me access the files with the drive plugged into a different computer because it detected that the files belonged to the user on that dying drive. I was able to get around it by taking ownership one folder at a time and copying files out with the only useful thing that Microsoft has ever made: DOS. With what I've recovered, I've been able to get back to pretty much where I was one week ago. The biggest thing I was working on was the DVD of my mission trip to Rwanda. Although I was unable to recover the movie files I had created, I was able to remake them and I think my DVD is going to be even better now than before. Lesson learned: don't be lazy and think you can back stuff up later when you've gotten rid of stuff you don't want. Not having a computer to work with at home could very well be a blessing in disguise. I can now spend more time practicing my guitar playing and reading the bible.... now if only I didn't have a TV.

1 comments:

Its funny me and andrew were just talking about hard drive failures too. and of how many you have had. Im glad things worked out for you :)
yay for Jesus being the MAN !

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home