Welcome to Adventures with Phil v2.0

So what is/was Adventures with Phil and where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Well, I used to do Adventures with Phil e-mail updates to let everyone know about the happenings in my life. If you're wondering, I originally got the name idea from the Red Green show, where there's a segment called Adventures with Bill.
Now, where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Before I go into that, there's something else I want to say. Even though "Step it up a notch" was hilariously funny in its original context, and the 20 or so of us who were there will definitely remember it as such, I am finding it is becoming more than just something I say; it's like a life motto, like the one the Three Musketeers had.
As I think about the words "step it up a notch", what comes to mind is the idea of doing more/going the extra mile, which also brings to mind Jesus' teaching in Matt 5:38-42. For me, applying step it up a notch means going deeper with God, building stronger family relationships and recognizing that I have the ability to reach out to help someone in need, no matter what the need is.

This section is getting too long so please make your way to the sidebar to find the origin of the phrase "step it up a notch".

Monday, August 17, 2009

Lost inside the wonder

I have much to say about what God has been doing in my life lately, prior to my missions trip to Mexico, during the trip and after but this is just gonna be a quick little note, just something neat that happened last night. Lately I've been learning to hear God's voice and last night as I was spending some time with Him, I did an exercise that forced me to ask Him some questions. Honestly, I had actually been putting off doing this exercise for about 10 days. Anyways, Jesus spoke and what he said just brought me to my knees in humility. One of the questions I asked was "If my heart is your home, what does that home look like?" His response: "Right now, it's a mess, but I want to clean it up for you but only if you'll let me." Talk about intense! In one sense it's like "D'oh! I am such an idiot!" but at the same time the peace and gentleness of Christ just overwhelms! So, just as the title of this post says, I'm lost inside the wonder of how amazing God is. I don't think that there has ever been a point in my life when Jesus has just been so real to me. I am so thankful that his promise holds true: that I will find Him, if I seek him with all my heart. He wants to work in my life but gives me the choice whether I'm going to let him or not. So one final thing before I wrap up this post, this one's quite funny. One of the other questions I asked was "If you could play a game with me what would it be? Why?" I laughed when I got the response. My roommate and best friend Andrew asked me what was so funny so I told him that I asked God what game he would play with me and that God said Hide and Seek. So here's the kicker: Andrew tells me he asked God the same question some time ago, and God said the same thing to him!!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home