Welcome to Adventures with Phil v2.0

So what is/was Adventures with Phil and where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Well, I used to do Adventures with Phil e-mail updates to let everyone know about the happenings in my life. If you're wondering, I originally got the name idea from the Red Green show, where there's a segment called Adventures with Bill.
Now, where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Before I go into that, there's something else I want to say. Even though "Step it up a notch" was hilariously funny in its original context, and the 20 or so of us who were there will definitely remember it as such, I am finding it is becoming more than just something I say; it's like a life motto, like the one the Three Musketeers had.
As I think about the words "step it up a notch", what comes to mind is the idea of doing more/going the extra mile, which also brings to mind Jesus' teaching in Matt 5:38-42. For me, applying step it up a notch means going deeper with God, building stronger family relationships and recognizing that I have the ability to reach out to help someone in need, no matter what the need is.

This section is getting too long so please make your way to the sidebar to find the origin of the phrase "step it up a notch".

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Cleaning and hot air balloons

So I was cleaning my room the other day and I found this piece of paper that I wrote a lament on probably about 8 months ago. I'm going to share it here and also write a response to it. On an unrelated note, I just looked out my window and saw 2 hot air balloons take off almost right across the street, if I lived one block over it would have been across the street. Doh! I should have taken a picture, oh well, maybe if/when they come back I'll snap one. And yes I am awake at 7 AM on a Saturday, I've actually been awake since before 6:30, during the summer, I tend to wake up not too long after the sun rises and I will only be able to get back to sleep if I'm really tired.
Anyways, here's the thing I wrote 8 months ago, at the time I guess I was feeling abandoned:
Have I lost my way? I don't even know what to think anymore.
Is this the way things are supposed to be?
If you thought that maybe I was lost, why didn't you come after me?
I guess this is just the way things are supposed to be.
Or maybe you've given up on me?
Why have you given up on me; I haven't given up on you.

Today's response:
Looking back I can see I was not lost, I just took a different road and walked into an unknown forest.
Maybe you thought I got lost, maybe not, it doesn't even matter anymore.
This is just the way things are.
So I've emerged from the forest into a wide open field and maybe someday our paths will cross again but for now I'm heading for those mountains in the distance.
I don't know if you gave up on me but you have to know I forgive you if you did.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home