Welcome to Adventures with Phil v2.0

So what is/was Adventures with Phil and where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Well, I used to do Adventures with Phil e-mail updates to let everyone know about the happenings in my life. If you're wondering, I originally got the name idea from the Red Green show, where there's a segment called Adventures with Bill.
Now, where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Before I go into that, there's something else I want to say. Even though "Step it up a notch" was hilariously funny in its original context, and the 20 or so of us who were there will definitely remember it as such, I am finding it is becoming more than just something I say; it's like a life motto, like the one the Three Musketeers had.
As I think about the words "step it up a notch", what comes to mind is the idea of doing more/going the extra mile, which also brings to mind Jesus' teaching in Matt 5:38-42. For me, applying step it up a notch means going deeper with God, building stronger family relationships and recognizing that I have the ability to reach out to help someone in need, no matter what the need is.

This section is getting too long so please make your way to the sidebar to find the origin of the phrase "step it up a notch".

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Soundtrack Of My Life

Every now and again, I hear a song that describes my life in some way. I will add this song to what I call the "Soundtrack Of My Life" and hopefully when my life in this world is through, people can listen to my soundtrack and know what my life was about.

There are also times when a song perfectly describes something I'm going through at some particular time. One such song at this point in time is the song "Whatever You're Doing (Something Heavenly)" by Sanctus Real. This song may yet make it onto the soundtrack of my life but right now it describes my life. God is doing something in my life, with my spirit and soul and sometimes, like this song says: "it feels like chaos", or like a heartache of conflicting emotions. This process is described in the Bible, somewhere I'm sure, as like gold being refined in fire. It's tough, it sucks but it's necessary. I know God's in it; He's having me work through things I've swept under the rug and I hope that at the end of it all, I will get some closure on certain issues.
Anyways, here are the lyrics to the song:

It's time for healing time to move on
It's time to fix what's been broken too long
Time to make right what has been wrong
It's time to find my way to where I belong
There's a wave that's crashing over me
All I can do is surrender

[Chorus]
Whatever you're doing inside of me
It feels like chaos somehow there's peace
It's hard to surrender to what I can't see
but I'm giving in to something heavenly

Time for a milestone
Time to begin again
Reevaluate who I really am
Am I doing everything to follow your will
or just climbing aimlessly over these hills
So show me what it is you want from me
I give everything I surrender...
To...

[Chorus]

Time to face up
Clean this old house
Time to breathe in and let everything out
That I've wanted to say for so many years
Time to release all my held back tears

Whatever you're doing inside of me
It feels like chaos but I believe
You're up to something bigger than me
Larger than life something heavenly

Whatever you're doing inside of me
It feels like chaos but now I can see
This is something bigger than me
Larger than life something heavenly
Something heavenly

It's time to face up
Clean this old house
Time to breathe in and let everything out

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home