Welcome to Adventures with Phil v2.0

So what is/was Adventures with Phil and where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Well, I used to do Adventures with Phil e-mail updates to let everyone know about the happenings in my life. If you're wondering, I originally got the name idea from the Red Green show, where there's a segment called Adventures with Bill.
Now, where did "Step it up a notch" come from? Before I go into that, there's something else I want to say. Even though "Step it up a notch" was hilariously funny in its original context, and the 20 or so of us who were there will definitely remember it as such, I am finding it is becoming more than just something I say; it's like a life motto, like the one the Three Musketeers had.
As I think about the words "step it up a notch", what comes to mind is the idea of doing more/going the extra mile, which also brings to mind Jesus' teaching in Matt 5:38-42. For me, applying step it up a notch means going deeper with God, building stronger family relationships and recognizing that I have the ability to reach out to help someone in need, no matter what the need is.

This section is getting too long so please make your way to the sidebar to find the origin of the phrase "step it up a notch".

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Time for a rant

As the title suggests, it's time for a rant. Two things in particular are bugging me right now.
Firstly, I was flipping through channels on TV today and saw on CNN what I thought was another campus shooting, thank God it wasn't. But it was still shocking to hear that the student body president at UNC was shot to death in what looks like a carjacking. My prayers go out to friends and family of Eve Carson, may you find comfort and peace in Jesus Christ. I know this is a rhetorical question but, what is wrong with this world? I've got a jumble of words in my head that I can't get straight right now...uh....I guess I'm extra sensitive after having gone to Rwanda; just seeing and being at some genocide memorials has had a profound effect on me, I can't put it into words, I went to WWII genocide memorials in Europe but they didn't affect me nearly as much as Rwanda has.
Second rant: I thought people who worked for the government needed to be smart, oh wait I forgot, only morons work for the government. Which reminds me of a quote I read the other day: "There is a tragic flaw in our precious Constitution, and I don't know what can be done to fix it. This is it: Only nut cases want to be president. - Kurt Vonnegut" here's another good one from today: The word 'politics' is derived from the word 'poly', meaning 'many', and the word 'ticks', meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. - Larry Hardiman
Anyways, morons at the National Student Loans Service Centre obviously don't know how to read. I'm trying to apply for Loan Relief and if this keeps up, my internship will be over before I get it. So I needed to send proof of my income for the month of December, so I sent copies of my pay stubs along with my application. They sent me a letter saying they couldn't process my application. This is what it said: "No proof of income or insufficient proof of income was provided... Actual amount of your income is required for (no supporting documentation required): Dec. 2007." Ok so you want proof of income but don't need supporting documentation, but the reason you can't process my application is because you don't have the supporting documentation. What?! So I called them and they said I didn't give them enough information, I asked what I didn't give, they said proof of income, I said I sent it with my application, they said they didn't have it. How do you go from me sending it in the same envelope, to them not having it, but they have my application form? So I send it again, this time by fax, clearly marking the dates and income amounts. This was 2 weeks ago; I was supposed to get a response within 5 days. So I called them yesterday and they said I still didn't give them enough information. I found out I was "supposed to" send proof of income for Dec. 29. I only got paid on the 1st and 15th, there is nothing for me to send for the 29th! It says on the pay stub "Pay period: Semi-monthly (24 pay periods per year)" READ WHAT I SENT YOU MORONS! ARGH!!!!

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home